During this week’s Docker Online Meetup, core team member Ben Firshman discusses the recently released Docker 1.11, our first release built on runC and containerd. Ben started the online meetup with an overview of Docker 1.11 before showing some demos and answering questions at the end.
Below are the recorded video and slides from the Docker Online Meetup.
Highlights of the Docker 1.11 release include:
- Built on top of runC and OCI: Containers are now run as OCI containers with runC. We have split out the management of containers into a separate piece of infrastructure plumbing called containerd, a daemon for managing runC, so the Engine is more loosely coupled to containers.
- DNS round robin load balancing: It’s now possible to load balance between containers with Docker’s networking. If you give multiple containers the same alias, Docker’s service discovery will return the addresses of all of the containers for round-robin DNS.
- Swarm container rescheduling no longer experimental (GA)
Learn More about Docker
- New to Docker? Try our 10 min online tutorial
- Share images, automate builds, and more with a free Docker Hub account
- Read the Docker 1.11 Release Notes
- Subscribe to Docker Weekly
- Sign up for upcoming Docker Online Meetups
- Attend upcoming Docker Meetups
- Register for DockerCon 2016
- Watch DockerCon EU 2015 videos
- Start contributing to Docker